Thursday, September 10, 2009

The big, bad, beautiful White Mountains

The weather couldn't be more perfect. Since the full moon came on September 4th just about everything has been splendid. I am sitting on top of mt Lafayette enjoying the views and cool breeze some 5250ft from sea level. The climbs get harder but every step is worth it once you reach the top. From here the mountain views are beautiful, the distant ridges fade into lighter hues of blue and clouds nip the top of the higher peaks...many of which I will soon conquer. 
    If I had continued on the original pace I was on before stopping in mid June, the rain would have poured for weeks; at least that is what I have gathered of emails, shelter journals and short conversations with many of the hiking friends I started with.  For many the White mountains are the most anticipated section of the AT for it's above ridge line trails, astounding peaks and huts which allow you to "work for stay" (usually an hour's work after which they feed you and let sleep in the mess hall). I had a large helping of pasta with tomato sausage sauce and garlic bread. Pancakes in the morning. 
     Earlier today while walking to the base of Mt Lafayette, I passed a stunning little brook with water so clear it almost reflected the sun. It passed under the highway and I had the urge to jump in so that is exactly what I did. The water was frigid but invigorating and coming out to lay in the warm sun with the naked breeze drying my raw skin wraped me in a blanket of freedom and completeness. The sound of tires passing over me at 70mph and the trickling of the brook actually meshed for a short time as I was swept away by a cat nap.
Now I am sitting on top of mount Lafayette and I can't get down it's so pretty and peaceful. It's a rare and wonderous sight to take in on such a clear day so I will try to enjoy as much of it as I can.

1 comment:

  1. Allô mon fils à moi adoré ! Je suis bien content que tu sois si haut sur la terre, hi hi hi. Et que tu sois heureux. Ici tout va bien, Agathe est venue nous voir avec son Jean-Marc le 7-8 sept. Mamie aimerait bien que tu écrives une ou deux phrases courtes en français, elle a bien du mal à lire ton anglais littéraire...
    Gros bisoux et proftie de la vie, cher fils !
    Papa man

    ReplyDelete