Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back on the road again




Here is a mid hike inventory check. The before and after pictures tell the story of my gear evolution. It's probably hard to tell but the before picture was taken from a chair so I could get the whole carpet while the after picture is about 1/3 of the carpet. I also have about 4 days worth of food as opposed to none. It must mean I am ready to go.

It's been about 2 months since I got off and I have been doing some work painting and re-working double hung windows. It was a great to spend some time working on a project and focusing solely on daily a task. Not much different from hiking but with more amenities and ice cream.

Now I have a clear path to the finish, I am yearning for accomplishment, if only to get back to the "usual grind". Not that I want to work 5 days a week with 2 weeks vacation and get stuck in the 2 day weekend chasm. I guess I should start playing those scratch off tickets with leprechauns to win 2k a month for the rest of my life in order to uphold this vagabond lifestyle. And besides the grass is always greener on the other side.

I will be taking the train from NYC to the border of Connecticut where I will have about 900 miles to go. I am anxious and excited to start again. The summer will come to a close, the foliage will multicolor with the cold autumn sweeping in. The hikes will get harder again but with the climbs will come breath taking vistas. I even have a new compact pillow (my one luxury item besides music) so even cold, hard nights are appealing...at least until the novelty wears off. I'll also have my phone so call me up so I can answer from the top of mountain. Talk to you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment