Thursday, April 30, 2009

In the Burgh...starts with a P but it ain't home to the Pens

So it's Pearisburgh I am in. This is a small town around mile marker 624 which epitimizes the small town sprawl car driving strip mall fast food pick up truck down home USA. But onward with the hiking and ponies.
Yes ponies this time!!! I cannot post pictures now but will soon enough; these ponies were so very used to people they walked up to us. Spring is definitely in the air and everyday brings more blossoms, bright colors--white tree blooms, purple flower sprouts, red bushes bursting, green and greener ferns-- but also the stuffy head of allergies. I have passed through the slopping meadows of Virginia past grazing cows, found some morel mushrooms, made a dandelion salad and passed the 500 mile marker. Things are really cruising now that the weather is warm, if not down right so hot I worked on my hiker tan-hopefully the shoulder straps should stay as lilly white as my bottom.
The weather could not have been better these last few days and although the terrain has been hard, rocky and jagged, I have pushed for close to 20 miles a day in the hopes to reach Washington DC around the 22nd of May.
I came to the realization a day after Damascus that there are quite a few things I would like to do between now and June so I better get a move on. Seeing some friends after being on the trail for so long is a major factor in my "get-your-ass-in-gear-and-hike-til-you-drop" mentality. Although I have met many great people on the trail and have made many friends, there is nothing like chewing the fat with good buddies. I also have a wedding or 2 and a graduation so, unfortunately for me, life does not halt for hikers on the trail.
Seems I am being asked to get off the computer. It is hard to know how every library runs the computer sessions. Until Later.

1 comment:

  1. My friend,
    The Penguins have advanced, the Flirrs and the Habs have not. And who do the Pens face in the next round? The Washington Capitals. I am worried because they came back from a 3-0 deficit against the Rangers to advance. But I am sure that Sid and Malk will be fine. Hopefully you will not be able to see a playoff game when you make it to DC.
    The ponies sound cool. Do they make you miss the "My Little Pony" that you had as a child? Or do you still sleep with one in your bed at night? Life has halted for you on the trail so don't forget to take time to "smell the roses" as it were. Good trails, good times, my friend. Australia awaits but I don't think you can walk here.

    ReplyDelete