Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fontana Village and the Hilton Shelter

The Smokies are looming in the distance but I have imposed a "Weather Zero" so that I can see the views. While in waiting I have had the fortunate pleasure of staying in one of the best shelters on the trail. Dubbed the 'Fontana Hilton Shelter', it boasts a shower a few hundred feet away and a water fountain just a few steps from the cooking table. To topper is that a few past hikers came by with some trail magic of hot dogs, cookies, root beer and Pabst, just to keep it classy.

About 2 miles away is the Fontana Dam which is the largest dam of the eastern U.S. At the bottom of the hill is a little gas station which has the strangest combination of gasoline, beer on tap and nachos at a full bar. I have never had better gas station food!

Unfortunately, I don't have the writing bug today. It is too bad since I have a pretty good spot at the computer. I am more interested in watching some hockey highlights. I am sure there will be many great stories to tell once I have crossed the Smokies.
Keeping up the trail

***Update***
After I signed off at Fontana, I found out the front desk lends out frisbee for the very big and challenging course they have. I got a few snacks and drinks to head out into a great afternoon of Frolf.

6 comments:

  1. Today, I paid all my utility bills. I've been working more than 8 hour/day almost everyday. I am a bit concerned about my mom's finance situation. I wonder when my next promotion is going to be and can't wait. I keep checking VW Web site to see when they are going to start selling the new Cabrio. I ran 5K this morning for a colon cancer research organization. I went grocery shopping at Whole Foods Market this afternoon... Typical life... What you experience out there is surreal to me. I hope you enjoy the journey. You are the man! - Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me miss the open road (or rocky trail as the case may be). I'm so happy for you that you're taking this time to walk. Keep on truckin my sweet! xo, Neeners

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like your having a blast. Caps are winning. The dogs lost a close playoff game to our good friend weaver. 3-2. they got a last second goal. have fun on the trails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. salut marsouin bisous Mamie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. let's see freddo. on april 4th nate and i were on our way to the valley of the sun to celebrate my mom's 60th bday. we spent the weekend eating way too much and hiking in Sedona. you called us when we were hiking...sorry we missed your call. we had a great trip. next time you're on facebook, check out my profile pics from our hike.

    we miss you, sorry i haven't been good at commenting. i really love your stories. you should write a book when you get home. xoxo

    ReplyDelete